Enter the Annual Balticon Poetry Contest!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contest deadline for 2015 and beyond has CHANGED from April 1 to March 1.
- Entries should address the themes of science fiction/fantasy/horror/science.
- 1st prize: $100; 2nd prize: $75; 3rd prize: $50.
- Limit: 3 poems/person, maximum 50 lines each. No entry fee.
- Please no previously published submissions.
- Winners will receive a cash prize, convention membership and be invited to read their winning entries at Balticon. Attendance at Balticon is not required to win.
- Winning poems will be published one time in the BSFAN, the Balticon convention souvenir book. In addition, a pdf version of the winning poems as they appear in the BSFAN will be available on the Balticon Poetry Contest website. Writers retain all rights to their work. By submitting to the contest, entrants agree to these terms.
- Deadline: Mailed entries must be postmarked, and e-mail entries received, by March 1. Entries that do not meet this deadline will be considered for the following year. Please include your name, address, phone & e-mail address and a brief bio with your entry.
- Entries may be submitted via the link below, e-mailed to poetry at bsfs dot org, or mailed to "Balticon Poetry Contest," c/o BSFS, PO Box 686, Baltimore, MD 21203. Info: poetry at bsfs dot org.
- While we would like to respond to each entrant personally, it is not always possible due to the large number of submissions we receive. Please check the Poetry Contest website periodically for updates and announcement of the winners.
Entries may also be submitted via the Balticon Poetry Contest Submission Form
(and/or) Join the Poetry Workshop at the Convention!
For Poetry workshop information email poetry at bsfs dot org
Balticon Poetry Contest Winners
"The Detour" by Darrell Lindsey
"Ode to Mars" by Janet Butler
"Ritual at Water's Edge" by Jennifer Ruth Jackson
"Postcards from the Moon" by Kaitlyn Graham, Special Young Writers Poetry Award
"The Music of the Stars" by Bruce Boston
"Drenched in Light" by Kadie Bennis
"The Lottery, Revisited" by Marge Simon
"Night Flight to Venus" by Jennifer Moore
"Futurity's Shoelaces" by Marge Simon
"Longing" by AC Leming
"Stardust" by Kat Kohler
"Talking to Owl" by Caitlin Walsh
"The Human Guest" by Marge Simon
"The Night World" by Laura Johnson
"The Veracity of Imagination" by Bruce Boston
"Page-cats" by P.S. Cottier
"A Dragon in Winter" by Judith Behar
"This Is What You Must Do" by Kirsty Logan
"Aurora Aland" by Tabitha Benedict
"Orbit" by Pat Tompkins
"Wind Up" by Patricia Budd
"I Love You for Your Brains, Not Your Looks" (Zombie Love Song) by Diana Chien
"Sekhmet Upon the Horizon" by Christa A. Bergerson